Bookish Girl Fit is meant to be a wellness blog, not a fitness site. I want to share all the ways I’ve slowly learned, with steps forward and back, to be a healthier, happier, fitter person – with a long way to go yet. i don’t really perform positivity or chipperness in my life, and I always have to balance my introverted, scholarly self with my position as a fitness professional whose job it is to motivate. This blog is the place where I do that.
Bookish Girl Fit will always be grounded in intersectional feminism, social justice ideals, body neutrality, critical race theory, scholarship and intellectualism. Something I’ve often found lacking in other fitness and wellness publications is the awareness that not everyone is white, affluent, able-bodied, and upbeat. I can only speak from personal experience, but I do my best to write and make recommendations based on my own experiences of privilege and marginalization and not make blanket assumptions about people’s abilities, identities, or social status.
HERE’S WHAT YOU MAY SEE IF IT’S A
- MONDAY: Fitness for Bibliophiles: new to fitness (probably because you’re like me)? Here’s a way to understand exercise through your favorite books.
- WEDNESDAY: Review: I’ll be reviewing books, exercise DVDs, clothing, food, and shoes.
- SATURDAY: Long Read: personal essays or guest posts.
- 1ST OF THE MONTH* Playlist: arranged by theme or type of exercise.
- 15TH OF THE MONTH* Beauty: I am really vain, so I’ll share some skincare or haircare products or tips with you.
- LAST DAY OF THE MONTH* Link Roundup: Cool stuff I’ve read over the past month that I’d like to share.
- WHEN APPLICABLE Travel/New Gyms: I will try any type of workout once, so if I go somewhere new, I’ll tell you about it.
*or the nearest date that’s not a Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday
What happens when you click on things on this site: I have affiliate relationships with Amazon, IndieBound, iTunes, Marika, and a number of other fitness brands. Basically, if you click on a link to purchase a book or some other item I write about, you can assume that I am getting a kickback in the form of a tiny percentage of the purchase price. This does not change anything on your end; the price is still the same. You don’t have to click my links, of course, but I have these accounts because graduate school was really expensive, so it would be cool if you did. Please note that my opinions are never anything but 100% honest, and I will make it clear if there is ever a sponsored post.